Thursday, October 20, 2011

Not sure how I feel about this?

Ok, so this morning I did not have a chance to read my devotionals. So I sit here at work reading them.

The first one I read was Devotions For Moms (actually it's the only one I have read so far today) and I am not sure how I feel about this one.

Usually after reading this devotional I feel pretty good, content, ok. But not today.

I would like your guys input if you want.

October 20
Choices

Who are those who fear the Lord? He will show them the path they should choose.
Psalm 25:12
There are currently many "just say no" campaigns against drugs, premarital sex, gangs, and other issues that children face in our society. Some years ago the president of the United States and the Speaker of the House took part in a news conference that kicked off a yearlong anti0drug advertising campaign. They said the campaign would attempt to "knock America upside the head." These ads would graphically illustrate the destructiveness of drugs and point out how vulnerable children are.

I was thankful that members of our government stood against the use of drugs, but I was concerned that we might spend the $195 million pledged to the campaign on symptoms and possibly fail to deal with the root issues, I believe that teaching our children how to make healthy and God-honoring choices regarding drugs, sex, and gangs has less to do with presenting lessons about the symptoms and more to do with encouraging children to make choices from an eternal perspective.

In his book Bold Love, Dan Allender states, "No one will leave an addiction or compulsion unless a competing passion is offered that gives a taste of what the soul was meant to enjoy. Only heaven with the beauty of restoration is a big enough passion to draw us away from the petty distractions and cheap addictions of this sorry world." Many children aren't motivated by negative consequences they doubt they'll ever experience. But they can be motivated by an understanding of the positive consequences of fellowship with God. The rewards-both now and eternally-are great.

I'm convinced that a large percentage of our focus as moms should be spent guiding our children toward God, whom we want to be the treasure of their hearts.

God,
There are many distractions and addictions that can cause our families great harm. Please help us point our children toward heaven and eternity, so that with your help they will turn from compulsions that would cause destruction.
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment