I have wanted to write this post since April 19th….I just now have gotten around to it! Sorry guys!
A year ago April 18th at 5:30 pm I was walking out of Prison.
Until that point when someone would ask me what I was doing a year ago that day, I would flash back to pictures of the chow hall, other prisoners in their fashionable get-ups, and CO’s running our lives…a miserable time in my life.
NOW, when someone asks me, I no longer have to say sitting in prison…I can tell them enjoying time with my daughter and family, being and feeling free, working on myself.
Let me tell you a year makes a lot of difference when you are sober!
In active addiction the hours, days, months, and years are all pretty much the same…they all revolve around addiction.
In my sober life I have seen the changes from a year:
· I got a job 3 weeks after I got out of prison AND I still have it.
· I bought a car AND I still have it.
· Kelli and I moved into our home AND we are still there.
· I was sober for Kelli’s 6th birthday AND I will still be sober for Kelli’s 7th birthday.
· I was sober for the start of kindergarten AND I am still sober as kindergarten ends.
· I have actually seen Kelli grow…every day she wakes up I swear she is another foot taller!
· I have a relationship with my friends and family that grows stronger every day.
· I have friends that are there for ME not the DRUGS, and that love ME not what I can give them
There are so many things that have gone on in this year that I could not possibly list them all. Good and bad…BUT the difference this year has made is that when the bad times come I know that I do not have to use because of them. Today I have a choice and that feels so great!