Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Addiction is a cunning and baffling disease


Sorry I have not been keeping up on posting at all. This has been a busy summer full of many mixed emotions. I am not sure where to start.

·        I guess I can start with the loss of a great man. He was an amazing man with a smile for everyone and hugs out of this world. He was a main fixture in our NA home group and an inspiration to us all. He had many years clean and would help a fellow addict (or anyone for that matter) that needed it. He went through a lot in his last few months. His son was in a horrible accident and he was right by his side every moment. He knew that God would take care of it and looked to him daily. He also stayed sober though-out the whole thing. When many addicts would have used he gave us the inspiration and example. When I go to meetings and I am not able to see him anymore I get sad, but then in our meetings you can feel his spirit and know that he is there with us even if we cannot see him! There are so many good things I can say about him, and there are so many stories of the people that he has helped. I along with many others miss him and love him so much. Until we meet again.

·        Last month I (along with others from my home group) went to an NA camp-out called High on Life. It was so much fun. It was great to be surrounded by people in recovery. It was great to get away for a relaxing weekend as well. The stories and the fresh perspective were amazing to receive. Plus just seeing so many people have fun sober when everyone is used to doing stuff in an altered state of mind is amazing. I can’t wait for next year! I will be going back.

·        And last, I found out that a friend of mine passed away this morning. She was also in recovery and had been sober for 18 months. As most addicts know it does not matter how much clean time you have this disease can sneak up on any of us and take our lives. And that is what the disease of addiction did with my friend. In NA many people say “If I go back out I might never make it back in.” Death is a very real possibility for addicts who decide to use again. Jennifer was an amazing person and the mom to one of Kelli’s best friends. Her family will be in my prayers. She will be missed.

That’s all I have for now. I hope that everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment