Sunday, December 13, 2015

NA slogans do we need them or are they just silly?


When I first started Recovery I thought the slogans that NA used were just silly and did not pertain to anything, they were just cliche.

As I have spent more time in Recovery and day-to-day life I realize that those slogans came about for a reason, they are true. 

The one that have struggled with the most is "what worked in the beginning of your recovery will work throughout your recovery." 

Lately, well for the last year and a half, I have been struggling not only in my recovery but at life in general.

A couple of days ago somebody said in a meeting "what worked in the beginning of your recovery will work throughout your recovery". 

So I sat down and I wrote a list of things that I had done in the beginning of my Recovery:

1) Meetings
2)Talked to Sponsor on a daily basis.
3)Working the steps
4)Worked
5)Church
6)Bible Study
7)Get up early every morning and read the daily devotionals.
8)Bettered my relationship with Kelli
9)Took care of my relationship with my higherpower

But what am i doing now?

1)Meetings
2)Work
3)Take care of my family

And that's about it.

I'm not doing anything else for my Recovery that did in the beginning so it's no wonder that I am having a hard time. 

So what is keeping me from doing all the stuff that I did? I'm too busy I say, I have to go to work and take care of the kids, and meetings, and school and all the day-to-day life that comes about

But I seen on Facebook the other day "it doesn't matter if you're busy, you will take time out for what really matters to you". 

So does my recovery really matter to me? The answer is absolutely, without my Recovery I would not have my family, I would not have a job, I would not be able to go to school,  and I would not be able to live.

So again what is keeping me from doing these things? The answer is me. I am stepping in the way of my own life and my own recovery.

Is it true that I have a lot of stuff going on? Absolutely. 

Is it true that my life is very stressful? Yes, but it is also true that I would not change anything about my life other than how I look at it.

I love my kids, I love my significant other, I love my home group, I love my job, and I even love school. 

So just for today I will step out of my own way and be the woman that I was in the beginning of my recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment